It’s pretty rare that I get to make waffles for breakfast, but they happen to be one of my favorite breakfast items. There are so many ways you can tweak the flavor of waffles according to the seasons – adding pumpkin or apples in the fall, or berries in the summer.
If you have a waffle maker, you know it can be a low mess way to make breakfast, especially if you put your waffle mix in a squeeze bottle or ladle it in from a measuring cup. I adapted a recipe from my beloved Veganomicon cookbook by Isa Chandra Moscowitz and Terry Hope Romero to make these waffles a little more heart healthy. I’ve added ground flax and whole flaxseed to add heart healthy Omega-3′s, fiber, and antioxidants. I also added cinnamon, which is not only tasty but a natural antibacterial, can help lower bad cholesterol, and has iron, fiber and calcium.
Heart Healthy Waffles
1 3/4 C unsweetened almond milk
1/4 C soy creamer
2 t apple cider vinegar
2 T ground flaxseed
6 T hot water
3 T canola oil
3 T pure maple syrup
1 T sugar
1 t vanilla extract
2 1/4 C unbleached all purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t sea salt
2 t cinnamon
2 T whole flaxseeds
1. Plug in your waffle iron and let it be heating up while you mix the ingredients.
2. In a small bowl, whip together the hot water and ground flax. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, sugar, and whole flaxseeds.
4. In a measuring cup, combine the almond milk, soy creamer and apple cider vinegar. Stir and set aside.
5. In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, canola oil, and vanilla extract.
6. Pour the flax mixture, almond milk mixture, and maple syrup mixture in the bowl with the dry ingredients. Whisk gently until the ingredients are combined. The mixture may still be a little lumpy, but that’s okay. If you have a squeezy bottle, pour the mixture in that to easily dispense it into your waffle maker. If not, pour some of the mixture in a measuring cup and ladle it into the waffle maker. Cook according to the directions of your waffle maker and enjoy!